Taking up our cross

Category: , By - Duck -

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. – Luke 9:23

What does taking up our own cross means? What does the cross means? Many of us tend to have a misconception about what the cross means. The cross is often misunderstood as our burdens and heavy load. The dictionary defines the cross as - “any affliction that causes great suffering; "that is his cross to bear"; "he bears his afflictions like a crown of thorns"

Just a reminder to you on what the cross is. The cross is an ancient instrument of torture and execution designed to as the most severe punishment to criminals. Jesus wasn’t talking about mere trials, sufferings and burdens that we should bear daily. He is talking about death. Death to ourselves. Death to sin. The apostle Paul clearly understood the statement given by our Lord. In his letter to the believers in Galatia he wrote;

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” – Galatians 2:20

This verse speaks a lot to me. It serves as a reminder to carry our cross daily and to die to ourselves and our sin. Our goals, our ambitions, our wants, our longings, our desires, and everything that involves the capital s“I”n in the middle.

“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.” – Philippians 3:7-9

I’ll let the Scripture speak to you.

“Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.” – Galatians 5:24

The recent Korean hostage drama in Afghanistan saddens me and as the world waits in anticipation for the release of the hostages by the Taliban insurgents, let us commit this whole scenario until the hands of our Saviour. For this men and women, took the risk for the sake of Christ. Let us pray steadfastly for their release and in all things we know that God is in control of everything.

From Duck to Swan
Signing out at 11.59pm – 31st July 2007

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?